Facebook can be an excellent tool to build your brand and drive targeted traffic to your website. Creating a fanpage take about 5 minutes. However, creating a successful page takes a bit longer. Facebook is somewhat limited in the options available to customize your page outside of the standard template – especially if you don’t have a huge budget to create a flashy welcome page. “Making lemonade out lemons” may be a tired cliche, but that doesn’t make it less true.
You have your logo, wall and welcome tab (nobody really looks at anything else) that are yours to change and design. Below are our top 5 social media tips to make the most out of your page (even if you are a small business or start up with limited resources):
- Tell people why to join your page. Every Facebook page should have some benefit, why else would people want to become a fan? For an easy to create and effective welcome page, just list a few of your benefits and then add an arrow to where people can “like” your page.
- Personalize your page. Active users are far more useful than dormant fans who clicked the “like” button and then forgot you existed. Keep fans interested by personalizing the page to individual active fans. For example, create a “fan/customer of the week” that will include the persons picture in your logo and their name tagged in your status update.
- Interactive contests. I have never met someone who didn’t like to win free things. Create a contest that includes an interactive element such as having people write on your wall as their contest entry.
- Cross Promotion. Interconnect your blog, website, Twitter account and any other social media that you are utilizing so that fans can find out about all of your online activity.
- Spend just a little. Starting a campaign with Facebook ads is cheaper than a Google campaign, and will send your target demographic to your fanpage.
So go ahead –use our tips and make Facebook lemonade.